1/2 small to medium bunch of kale
1 yellow onion
2 tsp cumin spice
2 tsp curry spice
5 large carrots
1- 1 1/2 cup red lentils
32 oz of vegetable or chicken broth
1 tbl of olive oil or vegetable oil
- Coarsely chop carrots and onion.
- Heat 1 Tblsp of olive or other vegetable oil in a large soup pot.
- Saute chopped carrots and onions in the oil.
- Mix in cumin and curry.
- Once the carrots and onion are tender add in vegetable or chicken broth.
- Bring broth to a slight boil and turn down to a simmer.
- Add in red lentils and let simmer for approx 5-10 minutes.
- Add coarsely (or finely, if you prefer) chopped kale to the broth.
- Let simmer covered for another 15-20 minutes or until kale is tender and lentils have turned golden and soft.
- Once kale is tender and lentils have turned golden then the soup is ready to enjoy.
- Season soup with salt, pepper, and garlic to taste.
- Serve the soup alone or with crunchy garlic croutons or garlic bread.
Makes approximately 4-6 servings.
Wood, R. (1999). The new whole foods encyclopedia: A comprehensive resource for healthy eating. New York: Penguin Books.